2017 March 15 - April 24
2017 May 17 - June 29
2017 BTR deadline: 04/17/17
2017 October 11 - December 21
2017 Proposal deadline: 08/01/17
2017 BTR deadline: 09/10/17
Online User Orientation and Safety Training:
All new users are required to read the User Orientation and Safety Training and score 100% on the Online User Exam before entering the experimental areas. To save time during the check-in process, it is strongly recommended that users read the User Orientation and Safety Training and take the Online User Exam before coming to CHESS.
All new users will be given a tour of the facility and receive additional safety training from the CHESS Operator after checking in.
The Online User Exam is valid for one year from the date it was taken. You will receive an automated e-mail reminder from the CHESS User Database when your Online User Exam is about to expire.
Any CHESS Users entering the experimental areas must have scored 100% on the Online User Exam within the past 12 months.
In the Event of an Emergency:
In an emergency situation (such as a fire, explosion, chemical spill, severe injury or illness, unusual odor) that requires immediate police, fire, or medical response to preserve life or property, contact the Cornell Police dispatcher:
Direct lines to Cornell Police dispatcher are available by using the yellow call boxes found on the walls in hallways and near stairwells throughout Wilson Lab.
If there is not a call box nearby, dialing 911 from a campus phone will also connect you to the Cornell Police dispatcher.
To reach the Cornell Police dispatcher from a cell phone, call (607) 255-1111.
Calling 911 from a cell phone will go to the New York State Police dispatcher; the response time may be longer than that of the Cornell Police.
- The addresses to give to responders for CLASSE spaces are listed below:
- JBC – (Warehouse) Storage: 4 Hall Road, Town of Dryden
- LEPP Trailer (Wilson Lab): 142 Synchrotron Drive, Town of Ithaca
- CLEO Trailer (Wilson Lab): 150 Synchrotron Drive, Town of Ithaca
- Wilson Synchrotron Lab & Ring, G-Line: 161 Synchrotron Drive, Town of Ithaca
- CHESS Trailer: 177 Synchrotron Drive, Town of Ithaca
- Machine Laboratory (Annex): 488 Pine Tree Road, Town of Ithaca
- Newman Lab: 153 Sciences Drive, City of Ithaca
Important Off-Site Emergency Phone Numbers:
- Cornell Police: 255-1111
- Gannett Health Center: 255-5155
- Environmental Health and Safety: 255-8200
- Cayuga Medical Center Emergency: 274-4411
- Tompkins County Fire and Ambulance: 273-8000
- Burn Control Center: (Albany) 518-445-3125
- Poison Control Center: (Syracuse) 315-476-4766
- Suicide & Crisis Counseling: 272-1616, Office: 272-1505
- Cornell Police, Sheriff, Medical and Counseling numbers
- Safety Committee e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dana Richter, Chairperson: 255-7163
- Ken Finkelstein, Vice Chairperson: 255-0914
For additional Safety Information and Policies, see the CLASSE Safety Handbook