Education / Experience:
|2002 - Present:||Staff Scientist, CHESS, Cornell University|
|1999 - 2002:||Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Wisconsin-Madison|
|1993 - 1999:||PhD in Applied Physics, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY|
|1989 - 1993:||B.A. Physics, Grinnell College, Grinnell, IA|
Advances in x-ray fluorescence and other x-ray imaging and spectroscopy techniques, especially instrumentation, optics, methods, and applications. New techniques include nanofabricated x-ray optics, especially for confocal x-ray fluorescence, 3D x-ray imaging at the micron and sub-cellular scale. Application interests span mechanisms of metal uptake, transport, and signaling in plants, mineral and metal oxidation distributions in soils and rocks, recovering lost images and the origins of buried paintings, manuscripts, and daguerreotypes. I also have a background in and continue to support research involving the characterization of thin films, especially in-situ studies of thin film growth.
- H Joress, JD Brock, and AR Woll, "Quick X-ray reflectivity using monochromatic synchrotron radiation for time-resolved applications," Journal of synchrotron radiation 25 (3), 706-716 (2018). doi: 10.1107/S1600577518003004.
- Louisa M Smieska, Ruth Mullett, Laurent Ferri, and Arthur R Woll, "Trace elements in natural azurite pigments found in illuminated manuscript leaves investigated by synchrotron x-ray fluorescence and diffraction mapping," Applied Physics A 123 (7), 484 (2017). doi: 10.1007/s00339-017-1093-0.
- Patricia A Favero, Jennifer Mass, John K Delaney, Arthur R Woll, Alyssa M Hull, Kathryn A Dooley, and Adam C Finnefrock, "Reflectance imaging spectroscopy and synchrotron radiation X-ray fluorescence mapping used in a technical study of The Blue Room by Pablo Picasso," Heritage Science 5 (1), 13 (2017). doi: 10.1186/s40494-017-0126-5.
- S Choudhury, DN Agyeman-Budu, AR Woll, T Swanston, TL Varney, DML Cooper, E Hallin, GN George, IJ Pickering, and I Coulthard, "Superior spatial resolution in confocal X-ray techniques using collimating channel array optics: elemental mapping and speciation in archaeological human bone," Journal of Analytical Atomic Spectrometry 32 (3), 527-537 (2017). doi: 10.1039/C6JA00297H.
- Geoffrey E Purdum, Nan Yao, Arthur Woll, Thomas Gessner, Ralf Thomas Weitz, and Yueh‐Lin Loo, "Understanding Polymorph Transformations in Core‐Chlorinated Naphthalene Diimides and their Impact on Thin‐Film Transistor Performance," Advanced Functional Materials 26 (14), 2357-2364 (2016). doi: 10.1002/adfm.201502412.
- Sonal Dey, Kandabara Tapily, Steven Consiglio, Robert D Clark, Cory S Wajda, Gert J Leusink, Arthur R Woll, and Alain C Diebold, "Role of Ge and Si substrates in higher-k tetragonal phase formation and interfacial properties in cyclical atomic layer deposition-anneal Hf1− xZrxO2/Al2O3 thin film stacks," Journal of Applied Physics 120 (12), 125304 (2016). doi: 10.1063/1.4963166.
- Mónica R Carvalho, Arthur Woll, and Karl J Niklas, "Spatiotemporal distribution of essential elements through Populus leaf ontogeny," Journal of experimental botany 67 (9), 2777-2786 (2016). doi: 10.1093/jxb/erw111.
- David N Agyeman-Budu, Sanjukta Choudhury, Ian Coulthard, Robert Gordon, Emil Hallin, and Arthur R Woll, presented at the AIP Conference Proceedings, 2016 (unpublished).10.1063/1.4961132: 10.1063/1.4961132.
- MC Sullivan, MJ Ward, Araceli Gutiérrez-Llorente, Eli R Adler, H Joress, A Woll, and JD Brock, "Complex oxide growth using simultaneous in situ reflection high-energy electron diffraction and x-ray reflectivity: When is one layer complete?," Applied Physics Letters 106 (3), 031604 (2015). doi: 10.1063/1.4906419.
- Anna M Hiszpanski, Robin M Baur, Bumjung Kim, Noah J Tremblay, Colin Nuckolls, Arthur R Woll, and Yueh-Lin Loo, "Tuning polymorphism and orientation in organic semiconductor thin films via post-deposition processing," Journal of the American Chemical Society 136 (44), 15749-15756 (2014). doi: 10.1021/ja5091035.
- Jeonghyun Hwang, Moonkyung Kim, Dorr Campbell, Hussain A Alsalman, Joon Young Kwak, Shriram Shivaraman, Arthur R Woll, Arunima K Singh, Richard G Hennig, and Sandeep Gorantla, "van der Waals epitaxial growth of graphene on sapphire by chemical vapor deposition without a metal catalyst," Acs Nano 7 (1), 385-395 (2012). doi: 10.1021/nn305486x.
- JD Ferguson, Y Kim, L Fitting Kourkoutis, A Vodnick, AR Woll, DA Muller, and JD Brock, "Epitaxial oxygen getter for a brownmillerite phase transformation in manganite films," Advanced Materials 23 (10), 1226-1230 (2011). doi: 10.1002/adma.201003581.
- John W Colson, Arthur R Woll, Arnab Mukherjee, Mark P Levendorf, Eric L Spitler, Virgil B Shields, Michael G Spencer, Jiwoong Park, and William R Dichtel, "Oriented 2D covalent organic framework thin films on single-layer graphene," Science 332 (6026), 228-231 (2011). doi: 10.1126/science.1202747.
Full publication list on Google Scholar (link): https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=x67eDmsAAAAJ&hl=en