The Cornell Laboratory for Accelerator-based ScienceS and Education (CLASSE) studies particle beams and accelerators, photon science, particle physics and the early universe, and serves students, the public and scientists from Cornell and around the world.
The research missions of this laboratory are, in many respects, unique in the world. CLASSE has an opening for a CHESS Research Support Specialist II.
CHESS (Cornell High Energy Synchrotron Source) is a subdivision of CLASSE that specializes in x-ray research. Visiting scientists from a variety of disciplines come to CHESS to utilize the high-energy x-rays to study various samples. CHESS staff provide technical support to visiting researchers and also maintain and upgrade the experimental facilities.
- Contribute to the maintenance, development, and improvement of experimental facilities.
- Test new equipment, write documentation, and teach other staff how to use it.
- Assist in the planning and execution of experiments and projects proposed by the user community.
- Plan, propose, and execute improvements to the software and computing infrastructure required to collect high-quality data.
- Build and maintain collaborative relationships with staff and teams.
- Contribute to the culture and practice of laboratory safety.
Bachelor’s degree in scientific or technical field (physical sciences, computer science or engineering preferred) and at least three years of related work experience or post-graduate education is required. General laboratory skills including hands-on experience with computer, mechanical, biochemical, and/or electronic equipment. Good communication and self-learning skills. Must be able to work occasional evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays. Computer and programming skills required. Capable of adapting to the changing needs of a research environment. Able to receive directions and to communicate effectively across all research groups within the department. Work effectively and cooperatively within a team environment. Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
Experience with Linux, Python, Matlab programming preferred, especially related to hardware control and data analysis. Experience in a customer or professional service/support setting.
Visa sponsorship is not provided for this position.
Please apply online at https://cornell.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/CornellCareerPage (posting #WDR-00019801).